At FEINDEF 2019 in Madrid, 29-31 May, Rafael will highlight solutions for Spain’s planned 8x8 combat vehicle programme in conjunction with its Spanish subsidiary, PAP Tecnos. It will offer a complete package of systems to enable and enhance ground combat vehicle survivability, manoeuvrability and lethality.
As part of its ongoing innovation and development process, Rafael has introduced a new member of the SAMSON 30 Remote Controlled Weapon Station (RCWS), based on its existing SAMSON 30. The RCWS family consists of four products under the brand name SAMSON - ranging from 5.56-40 mm, and over 5,000 have so far been delivered worldwide.
Rafael’s new RCWS consists of the following elements:
• 30 mm automatic cannon and coaxial 7.62 mm machine gun
• Two independent identical sights (one each for gunner and commander)
• Two multi-purpose anti-tank guided missile (ATGM) (SPIKE LR1 or the new SPIKE LR2)
• Smoke grenade launchers
• The TROPHY active protection system (APS) (optional Samson 30 RCWS)
Rafael offers an optional variant of the SAMSON 30 RCWS with TROPHY APS already integrated in the turret, as well as the SPIKE LR2 ATGM. This holistic solution significantly enhances the survivability and manoeuvrability of the fighting vehicle and its crew.
At FEINDEF, Rafael is also presenting its new and ground-breaking solutions for the digitization of land-based operations, based on a combination of BNET – the new-generation ultra-high broadband tactical radio on-the-move, based on the patented multi frequency-channel reception technology, with FIRE WEAVER – a new networked sensor to shooter system.
BNET software defined radio (SDR) is a high-speed broadband data, voice and video on the move radio solution – to enable comprehensive and effective situational awareness and sensor-effector cycle closure. BNET is a field-proven advanced broadband IP mobile ad hoc network (MANET) SDR solution for tactical operations, enhanced by multi-frequency channel reception (MCR). Combined with FIRE WEAVER, it instantly selects the most relevant shooter for every target acquired, according to the rules of engagement, marking the target on the shooter’s sight and enabling multiple, simultaneous, precision strikes on time-critical targets within moments of their acquisition.
Coming from one design authority, FIRE WEAVER, BNET, SAMSON 30 with SPIKE and the TROPHY APS, will provide Spanish ground forces a holistic, optimal solution for lethality, protection and agility.
Other system Rafael is offering for current and future programmes in Spain include:
• TROPHY APS for armoured platforms: the world's only operational, combat-proven APS for heavy, medium and light armoured vehicles. TROPHY TM is currently in use on Israeli MERKAVA tanks and NAMER fighting vehicles and is also under contract the US ABRAMS tank, having been successfully tested on a number of lighter US platforms, including the STRYKER and BRADLEY;
• SPIKE LR2 missiles for ground forces and SPIKE ER2 for the TIGER helicopters: multi-platform, precise, multi-purpose tactical missiles, for ranges of 1.5-30 km, with 31 users worldwide and over 30,000 missiles already sold across the entire SPIKE family;
• LITENING and RECCELITE pods for the Eurofighter TYPHOON: LITENING 5 – new generation navigation and targeting pod featuring advanced high-resolution sensors for effective stand-off identification and targeting; and RECCELITE XR – real-time multi-spectral reconnaissance system for stand-in and stand-off missions;
• Naval 30mm RCWS: The TYPHOON MK-30C is a stabilized remotely-operated weapon system for surface and aerial targets. Rafael has enormous experience in developing and manufacturing naval RCWS to fit unique naval requirements.